Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Questions I Ask



V’Lecea Hunter
University Prep high School/ Youth Initiative Project


When I think about people loosing their lives from gun violence, it automatically makes me ask the question “why”? Why do people take their anger out on their peers, strangers, and enemies? Why do people consider solving a conflict that they may have with themselves or others, with a gun? Does it give you power and respect? Who will benefit from this?

No one could answer these questions with a positive answer, so I had left it a lone until my uncle was killed due to gun violence. He was killed right in front of his house and now everyone has left it alone. He was killed due to someone trying to get respect. So, because this individual couldn’t get the respect he wanted, he decided to end someone’s life and that person was my uncle. He was shot one time in his back and died instantly and once that happened all of my questions were answered.

Some people take their anger out in using a gun because they don’t know what else to do. I feel as though people kill just to make them feel good because their self esteem is low. If they have a conflict within their self they would try to torture another person to make their life easier and normally they go after the person they may have had past experiences with or someone that intimidates them. It also gives them power because they have this weapon and they can direct everything. Now, on gaining respect, they may feel as though their gaining it but actually their loosing it.

We are loosing too many innocent people and it’s time that we start stepping up to the plate to protect our people and I will be the first to say that I am at the plate. I am ready for an end because I look at my little cousin’s everyday and just think “dang, my aunt has to raise all five of these kids by herself now. I know that she can do it, but it’s nothing like having your daddy in your life”. I know that they miss him and they tell me it and the only thing I can tell them is to be strong and be there for their mother because I know how they feel about not having a father. My father wasn’t in my life and I had to stay strong and listen to my grandfather’s, brother, and male cousin’s advice. So, that’s what I want them to do.

IT’S TIME TO TAKE A STAND, SO PLEASE TAKE IT NOW!! Let's support the Hugs Not Bullets Campaign by not using firearms to celebrate the New Year.

No comments: