Thursday, December 6, 2007

Fears


V’Lecea Hunter
University Prep High School/ Youth Initiatives Project


Today’s youth have been influenced by a culture of violence and a fear of “snitching”, which is speaking up for yourself, your community and wanting a change. As I look around and observe the teens in my work area, I can see that many of them view these negative morals as a sign of respect and a sense of character. I can also see that many of them are influenced by their parents. When parents are attempting to resolve a conflict with violence, their children believe they can do the same thing. However, parents want to chastise their children, and tell them they were in the wrong. I feel that parents contradict themselves and then want people, like me, to have pity on them.

Some days I just want to ask the question “why”? Why do some parents feel as thought they have to be immature and hang with the “in crowd”, in stead of being a parent to their children? No one could ever answer that question, but I eventually answered it myself. I realized that when parents are acting as if their immature, instead of being an adult, is because they want to be their children’s friends. It’s like their scared to face the consequences of being a parent.

The fear of “snitching” comes along through the parents because most children are raised that “tattle telling” is bad and snitching means the same thing. So, when children grow up they automatically think that “oh, no I can’t be a snitch because that means I’m tattle telling and my parents told me not to do that” or “I’m not the type of person that tells on people”. Parents need to explain to the teens that “tattle telling” is not good but being a “snitch” is good to a certain extent. A “tattle tell” is someone that tells on everyone and everything, no matter what it is. A “snitch” is a person that is willing to speak up and stop different crimes or actions that maybe happening in their neighborhood or in their surroundings. I believe that if every community had a person like that around, then the violence will be reduced. We need more people around that are willing to step up and gain respect.

In result of “snitching” things tend to lead to violence. Shooting occur, situations are exaggerated, and children are being harmed. I feel that we need more people around that are willing to step up and faced their own people; let their voices be heard and know that there are many more people in the world that is just as scared as they are. We just need that one individual to step up to the plate and put rules and regulations on the table, so that everyone can work as a TEAM!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great blog- it's wonderful to give people a forum to speak out against violence in this country. I'll definitely continue to follow things here, and would love to stay in contact and keep up to date on what efforts you guys are involved in. Keep up the good word (fight seems contradictory, no?), and god bless.