Tuesday, December 4, 2007


Leiah Jefferies
University Prep High School/ Youth Initiatives Project

It was a wonderful day in school and I had just returned to class from lunch. Everyone was excited because my teacher, Ms. Rosman, was bringing in a special guest to talk about Africa and its importance to our school. All of my fellow students were eager to see what was in store for us and so was I. Before the session began, my teacher called us in groups of five to go to the restroom before the speaker arrived. Since my group was closest to the door, we were first. As I was walking to the bathroom I heard someone crying in the creative writing room. I stopped to take a peak inside and to my surprise, it was my mom!

I was very shocked and instantly I rushed inside the room to investigate the problem. Walking up very scared and frighten I asked my mom why she was crying hysterically. She replied by giving me a strange look like something was terribly wrong, so I immediately starting crying with her. Not knowing what the problem was I stopped and asked one final time, and before she could say anything my uncle walked in and told me that my auntie and my four cousins were gone.

My aching heart was shredded into a million pieces when I heard the news that was being fed to my ears. My aunt’s boyfriend had recently had an argument with my aunt that day and he left the house and didn’t return. When he arrived later on, he attacked my aunt and strangled her to death. My cousin William tried to fight him off and protect his mother, but he got a lead pipe in the head in return. He crucially murdered all my cousins and my aunt until there was nothing left. My aunt’s boyfriend killed and brutally murdered some of the closet things that I’ve ever had and for that I will never forgive him!

This brings me to the Hugs Not Bullets campaign. It’s a campaign that promotes the importance of why gun and domestic violence should be stopped. Every year around Christmas and New Years Eve, people have the urge to shoot in the sky and shoot at things that shouldn’t be shot at. People are just taking the holiday tradition to a lower level and the Youth Initiative Project (YIP) is here to put an end to it. As a result of our campaign, last year there was a drop in the incidents of shooting on New Years Eve, and this year we want even more. We do not want gun violence, domestic violence, or any violence at all. We want peace…

No comments: