Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"Save Our City"


Ryan Anderson
Senior
UPREP High School

As a Detroit citizen, I experienced a lot of violence. I reside on the east side of Detroit where just walking to the corner store can be life threatening. It is imperative that we addrees the issue of gun violence. There has been a lot of young people killed this year over little or nothing. It seems like it's not safe to go anywhere anymore. There was even a lady killed in a church. It is for these reasons that I support the "Hugs Not Bullets" Campaign.

I have been in situations when guns have been pulled out on me and I didn't know what to do. Gun violence has been going on in Detroit for so long that it has been accepted. I feel like it's terrible that this has been accepted and is normal in Detroit. Gun violence shouldn't be accepted anywhere.


If gun violence is not addressed and stopped, the city of Detroit will just get worse. It seems like everywhere you look a young male or female is wearing a "Rest In Peace" shirt or hat. Young people are dying because it has become so normal that it has turned into fashion. A lot of the time teens are killed at events like parties. A shooting or fight is usually how a party ends and I find that terrible. I find it terrible because a party is supposed to be fun. You shouldn't have to fear for your life when you come to have a good time.


All of these issues can be stopped if gun violence or just violence is stopped in Detroit period.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completly agree everyone i no has nothing better to do but talk about who they gone beat up or who got beat up who they want to kill or who they no got kill and no one want to do anything about it but say how terrialbe this is no one has any action plans people who run the city should make this issue there top priority

Anonymous said...

I agree with this article alot. We really need to make a change in the city of Detroit. If we want a change we have to start with us. Yes the teens because we are the ones who make a difference. So not only do we need to talk about, we need take action. So lets get up and make a CHANGE!!!

Anonymous said...

I think you are absolutely correct about the things you said. It is rare to find a teen male who is acually fed up with guns and the violence they bring.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you ryan. The last thing I should be worring about when thinking about going to a party is more times than not the first. I should have to worry about getting into a fight or worse killed just because i want to enjoy my self at a party