Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Snapshot of the Next Generation




Mariama McGhee
Youth Initiatives Project/University Prep High School

I’m a photographer in training and I have decided to take pictures of the activities occurring during the Male Summit, scheduled for Saturday, March 8, 2008 at the Grace Church of the Nazarene. Before I explain the photography part, I would like to explain the Male Summit. The Male Summit is for teen males who want to learn how to develop as leaders. Male Peer Educators from the NSO/Youth Initiatives Project (YIP) prepare them to become positive role models. A lot of the teen males attend a leadership class so they can talk about the problems males face and do group work. Everyone has to participate and work together.

The reason why I wanted to take pictures of the Male Summit is because I love male leadership. It’s great to see young males step up to take charge. We hear a lot about female leaders, but we rarely see enough of teen male leadership. In this generation we are trying hard to help the teen male regain his ability to do something important again. What is life with no bright future?

The Male Summit will be both challenging and fun. Young males have to attend so they can develop a goal. Their leadership class provides speech training and leadership skills, but the summit gives them a chance to present their work to the community. It’s all about practice and focus.

Soon more and more males will join YIP and pass on their teachings to others. Our generation will be renewed. More male leaders will make Detroit’s future brighter. Maybe they will change the world for the better. They can put an end to chaos and violence.

As you can see, I’m not looking for the perfect shot. I want to capture young males having discussions with each other. I also want to capture the work of our male Peer Educators as they lead the discussions. After the event, I hope to take a group picture of the youth who planned the event, our moderator, Charles Pugh of FOX 2 News and our guest panelists. When I set my pictures up for display, I want people to realize the hard work our male youth are doing to help the city of Detroit. It’s not just the picture itself; it’s what’s represented in the picture.

No comments: