Saturday, April 4, 2009

MORE VIOLENCE, FEWER LIVES


Tavarus Lewis
Junior
Roseville High School


My name is Tavarus Lewis and I believe that violence is senseless. When I was younger, I got into a lot of trouble and believe that I was a contributor of gun violence. I engaged in everything from fighting to selling drugs, and even robbery. It took being locked up for me to stop committing some of these acts, but even after being locked up, I went back to my old habits until my cousin was killed. That was my reality check. My cousin wasn't very old at all, and he was just a regular kid who didn’t get into as much trouble as I did. My cousin’s death opened up a new world of thinking for me. I have seen so many young people die over petty arguments, and my cousin is not the only young person that I’ve lost to gun violence.

I believe that putting your guns away is the solution. Not only are you taking someone else’s life away, your life will also become meaningless if you are in prison. Families are also affected by gun violence because they are also losing loved ones. Take my advice, before you pull a gun to shoot someone, think about whether it is worth spending the rest of your life in prison. Take my blog into consideration. Violence is very serious, and it needs to stop or we will continue to have unnecessary deaths in our communities.

No comments: